My wish for you: A prosperous, gratifying and successful year ahead.
Personally, my goal for this year is to help more clients find more talent, and to do my part to support your hiring goals. Whether those goals include hiring leaders, increasing diversity, boosting company culture, finding hard-to-source talent or something else, get in touch.
December Jobs Report Highlights
The December jobs report underscores the stability of the economic landscape. The national unemployment rate remained unchanged at 3.7%, maintaining the positive momentum observed in previous months. Recent college graduates also experienced steady conditions with an unemployment rate of 2.1%.
In December, the job market demonstrated resilience by adding 216,000 new jobs. The standout performers were the Construction sector, contributing an additional 17,000 jobs, followed by Information with 14,000 jobs, and Professional and Business Services with 13,000 jobs. These industries played a pivotal role in sustaining the overall positive trend in job creation.
In total, there were 2.7 million jobs added to the economy for 2023, showing a decline from previous years but beating past year averages from 2015 to 2019. The overall theme of a robust labor market remains unchanged. Notably, job growth is concentrated in Government, Healthcare, and Leisure and Hospitality, accounting for three-quarters of added jobs in 2023. While certain sectors experienced static hiring and slower growth, the overall labor market has cooled, yet growth in key sectors has prevented widespread job losses or an increase in the unemployment rate.
- Public Combo, CPA
- 15+ years experience
- Oil & Gas
- Bachelors in Accounting & Finance
- Public combo, CPA
- Currently leading a team of 6
- Accounting degree, public accounting combo
- Full cycle GL experience in manufacturing and construction with companies from $80M-$175M
- Financial package preparation; manages 5
- Public Combo, CPA
- 10+ years experience
Director of Accounting
- CPA with strong leadership experience and previous public accounting experience
- Variety of privately held company industry experience
- Worked closely with and heavily involved with FP&A
Director of Accounting
- Degreed Accounting Professional with 2 years of working in the Renewable Energy space
- Currently managing 3 direct reports
- Budgeting/Forecasting experience
- Holds an MBA ( Accounting) and a BSA ( Finance)
- CPA, public accounting combo
- 10 years of experience
- Partnership accounting experience
- Currently in a GL role managing a team
Director of Accounts Payable
- Accounting Degree
- 17+ years of experience both in General Ledger Accounting and Accounts Payable
- Large ERP, system implementation and process improvements
Senior Tax Associate
- Senior Tax Accounting Professional with 4 years/4 busy seasons of experience
- B. S. in Accounting from Brigham Young University and MBT from USC Marshall School of Business
- Active CPA and M.B.T.
- Mainly service private equity clients ( handles more of the management companies of those clients), mainly partnerships and K1s, some 1040s in the past
- Tax Professional with 2.5 years of post-grad experience
- Currently taking classes to become CPA eligible
- Double major in Accounting and Finance from Angelo State University
- Experience working on a comprehensive project spanning 21 entities, including 1065s, 1120s, 1120S, Complex Trusts, Simple Trusts, and Gift Tax Returns, high net-worth individuals, and partnerships
What Kind of Leader Do You Want to Be This Year?
As a leader, think of your professional New Year’s resolutions as more of a re-envisioning than a to-do list.
Do you want to be a leader whose positive attitude influences and inspires your team? One who has done the learning to offer insights on integrating emerging technologies into business strategy? A leader who prioritizes and models strong communication channels?
All of the above?
The strongest leaders I work with at Benchmark Search have a vision for their leadership. January is a great time to reassess that vision for yourself and figure out how you can model it going forward.
Change Your Lighting, Change Your Life (as a Boss)
Want to hire more and better people? Get rid of the terrible lighting in your office.
Bright overhead light is not just unattractive. It can cause eye strain, headaches, migraines and downright irritability.
The best thing you can do for your employees is to offer more daylight in the form of windows, skylights, etc., and to let them control their own lighting with area-specific dimmers and other options.
Now, to find those newly appreciative employees? Hire a recruiter like me to find the right candidates who will truly appreciate your efforts to create a well-lit workplace environment.
This Month’s Recommended Reading
Hiring Local Talent Has Gotten More Challenging
3 out of 4 private company C-suite executives say finding local talent has become more challenging in the last 6 months, according to new data from Deloitte.
As a result, they’re changing their acquisition strategies. More than half of the 100 executives Deloitte surveyed say they are increasing skills-based hiring versus experience-focused hiring. They are also reskilling existing employees so there’s less pressure to find people with the perfect skill sets.
They’re also increasing their hybrid work options and implementing new compensation strategies. By opening up hybrid and remote-work options, companies can expand the talent pool they’re drawing from, and by changing compensation strategies, the hope is to provide a stronger draw.
As a recruiter at Benchmark Search, I can help you create the right hiring strategy to recruit both local and remote talent, and I can also tap into a wider pool of applicants than you might have at your disposal.
As I head into another year, I feel more inspired than ever to be a great source of ideas and talent for my clients.
Until next month,
Have a great start to your 2024,
We trust that your holiday season was filled with joy, laughter, and unforgettable moments!